I made this *light* Italian Wedding Soup (recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine) the other night, and we both absolutely loved it! It was super easy, delicious, and perfect for a winter night. Enjoy!
· 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 small onion, finely chopped
· 3 carrots, finely chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
· 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
· 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
· 3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
· 1 parmesan cheese rind, plus 1 tablespoon grated parmesan, plus more for topping
· 1/2 pound ground pork
· 3/4 cup orzo
· 8 ounces baby spinach (about 8 cups)
** I used about half of the spinach it called for, and I used garlic powder for the meatballs.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 4 minutes. Add half of the garlic and 1 teaspoon each Worcestershire sauce and sage; cook 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, 3 cups water and the parmesan rind and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix the pork, breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon grated parmesan, the remaining garlic and the remaining 1 teaspoon each Worcestershire sauce and sage in a bowl. Form into 1-inch meatballs.
Increase the heat to medium high and bring the soup to a boil. Stir in the orzo and cook 6 minutes. Add the meatballs and cook until they are firm and float to the top, about 4 more minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 more minute. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with parmesan.
Per serving: Calories 350; Fat 18 g (Saturated 6 g); Cholesterol 62 mg; Sodium 304 mg; Carbohydrate 29 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 19 g